Sunday, May 3, 2009

Tippecanoe and Tyler too!


One morning a couple of us went to have a cultural experience so we went to the cemetery pretty close to us here where the US President Harrison is buried. I pride myself on knowing US history so I told everyone about how William Henry Harrison platformed his campaign to office on his victory (or massacre depending on which side you look at) over the Indians at the battle of Tippecanoe, which is also in Indiana. They used the slogan “Tippecanoe and Tyler too!” while Harrison ran for President with his VP John Tyler. Harrison died from a cold about a month after being elected. I want to reread “The Red Prophet” by Orson Scott Card where he talks about the Indian Chief Tecumseh fighting at the battle of Tippecanoe.

So, when we got to the grave, it turns out that this is actually Benjamin Harrison, not William Henry Harrison. I don’t know anything about Benjamin Harrison, except that he was the president about 1900. Ha. They also had the grave of James W. Riley, the first person to get the gold medal of poetry, an Indianapolis native.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I remember that part of the Red Prophet, it was really sad. So Pete was actually born in Tippecanoe while his dad was at Purdue. That's cool guys hang out and do stuff besides door knocking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i wish i could remember more from the red prophet. i lik the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to have cultural experiences with the boys, Parl! ...and that picture of you is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I knock on 500 doors a day, will my arms maybe look like that too? I remember the Red Prophet. I really loved that book and was sad when I finished. I love the names....Taw-Kumsay, Lolla-Wossiky, Alvin, Calvin, Rev. Thatcher. Orson Scott Card understands American History from a spiritual perspecive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brings back memories to think of the Red Prophet. I loved reading all those books and I just crawled into our warm bed and read because the house was so cold all winter. Cool places you are visiting there.

    ReplyDelete