Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Life's a game of inches

Ben showed me this clip and I really liked it. I’ve never seen the movie, but sometimes I think Al Pacino gives some of the greatest monologues I’ve ever heard. I downloaded the clip and edited out some of the swear words and re-uploaded it so I wouldn’t feel bad about putting it on my blog.

I think that’s true. Life’s a game of inches. When you add up all the inches, that’s what makes the difference between winning and losing.

My first week here I would knock on doors and I couldn’t get hardly anyone to listen. I would say the exact same thing I would hear Ben say, but I couldn’t get my foot in the door. Then I learned that it was the little things I wasn’t doing: eye contact at certain parts of the pitch, the tone of voice on some words, the speed I was talking at, a pause here, a question there. My luck started to change. Now I’ve gotten a sale pretty much every day for the past six knocking days.

Whatever you do, it’s the little stuff that ends up making the difference.

Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise. (Alma 37:6)

3 comments:

  1. Parley - Great clip! Just like the scripture says, line upon line, precept upon precept. (See DC 98:12, Isaiah 28:10). People who fail at any given endeavor usually are guilty of trying to do everything at once, in one big gulp. Life doesn't work that way. The movie Ghandi points that out, he accomplished all that hje did bit by bit over a lifetime. The trick is to not give up.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parley,; You are certainly motivating us all. I am going to really get going and I think of these blog posts and movies all day after you share them. They really stick with you when they are in little pinches. Way to go with your sales too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post, Al almost makes you cry with his motivational speech, there.

    ReplyDelete