Sunday, May 10, 2009

Momma, momma, wait for me!


Everyone’s been writing nice posts about mom today, so I wanted to write a couple of things that I admire about mom. Mom’s always been full of charity. For as long as I can remember we have been going to rest homes and performing for the old people there. Sometimes we would grumble about going, but Mom would always get us in the car and tell us that serving others would bring us blessings. She’s exemplified that by her life. She has always spent what little money she’s had on her kids, never buying anything for herself so that she could have more to spend on us.

Mom is fun. She is always so creative thinking of things to do that are really entertaining. I remember back when we were really poor, and mom had nine kids at home, we would see other families going on vacations around the world, but I honestly think we had more fun than they did. We would go up to the field across the canal in Brighton and build wigwams. We would have ice skating races, cookouts over fires, and would go on hikes in the snow. One of my favorite stories from after my mission is when she was skiing up at the canyons with Willi and I and we all went up the 9990 lift. It only has double black diamonds coming down. She didn’t know it was for experts only and ended up sliding down a really steep slope on her backside, but she was still really happy the whole time. I thought I had the coolest mom in the world right then. No one else’s mom would ever do that. Thanks for always doing fun things with us, and not just for being there, but for being part of the group.



But, probably the best indicator of how good mom and dad have done is how their kids are doing. I don’t know hardly any families that have four or five kids that don’t have at least one with some problems, but every single one of Mom’s nine kids is stronger spiritually than pretty much anyone else I know. We are all close friends and love to spend time with each other. Good job, Mom. I love you!

6 comments:

  1. stop it! p.l.e.a.s.e tell me that the little boy in the top picture is you. i want to bite you! you are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parley--do you really have a picture of Inglenook. And did you see in the front row is the guy with the firetruck? I still remember that. I think it's so funny how mom is playing really seriously and Rachel is singing really seriously and the rest of us are just kind of like huh? Then there's Julia . . . she's only there for the food. What a nice post about mom. I like the 9990 story except for the part when mom asked "Hasn't Elizabeth gone down this one?" And then you and Willi just started laughing. I agree, Mom is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know. crazy how you remember stuff like that. I laughed when i saw julia sitting there on the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings - I totally remember the old guy with his red firetruck. His name was Frank and I went over to him and fussed on his truck. He was real proud to show it off...it was a Christmas present. That first picture was so fun to see. Mom and I don't remember seeing it before. Thanks, Parley.
    Dad Wad

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Parley, That is the best tribute you could give me.

    ReplyDelete