Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Adam big boy

Meet Adam “big boy” Farr. This is when we went up to the cemetery a couple weeks ago and he met a black guy that was trying to convert him to some weirdy religion. Ha. I met Adam a few months ago when he came over to our apartment to talk to Ben about coming out this summer. Back then he had hair down to his shoulders, which he cut (thank goodness) when he came out to sell. He went to the same mission as Ben and my roommate Jeff, and I guess he was a legend out there. He was the top baptizer that no one could keep up with. After he came home…well, we have just been trying to get him to come to church again. He hasn’t been in over two years.

We made a couple of special rules just because of Adam. Now no one is allowed to drink after helping his little brother make a sale, and we have a dollar jar for every time people swear during meetings. (I had a couple rules made because of me too: no leaving work early for FHE with ballroom dancers or going on dates) But, once he’s your friend, Adam is one of the most loyal people you’ll meet. He calls me during the day sometimes just to give me a pep talk and to make sure I’m not getting depressed. Sometimes I give him a pep talk by telling him if he doesn’t get a sale he has to come to church on Sunday.

Adam has had a bit of a hard time out here. He didn’t make a sale his whole first week. His little brother was the one who left and flew home after the first week saying it was too hard. Adam stayed, thinking it would get better, but he didn’t get a sale the entire second week either. You have no idea how depressing this job can be if you aren’t even getting paid for it. One day before knocking he told us he had a goal of zero for the day.

Last Sunday I was at church and just as a youth speaker finished and sat down I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I looked down and saw a text from Adam that said ‘Amen.’ I looked towards the back and saw Adam sitting there looking at me with a big smile on his face. I smiled back and then turned around so that he wouldn’t see that I was getting a little bit teary eyed. First time in over two years. That was probably worth more than all the money he might have made those two weeks.

Then today (Tuesday) Adam finally got a sale! Persistence and grit triumphed in the end. I got a text from him saying the curse is over and he’s hot on my tail.

5 comments:

  1. Parley - these are the things you will remember from your summer when the money and everything else is long gone.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool, I am glad he kept with it. People that leave probably label themselves as "people that hate selling" for the rest of their lives. Now he knows he can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story. Makes you love Adam. I am sure you are there for more than sales, but when you do other things the sales come, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats a great story. you make a good example

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, I labelled myself as that and didn't even go! I don't think it's a bad thing to realize you don't like one choice of dirrection you take in life, and change to another. It's part of understanding who you are and what you are happy doing.

    ReplyDelete