Sunday, May 10, 2009

Turn the other cheek

A couple months ago the three unmarried kids along with mom and Dad were all sitting at the dinner table. We were talking about favorite movies and we were all trying to guess what Mom’s was. She finally told us that it started with a ‘G’. After a couple guesses like ‘Indiana Gones’ a few of us were laughing so hard we were starting to cry. Finally Mom had to tell us her favorite movie was ‘Gandhi.’ I hadn’t seen the movie since before my mission, so I downloaded it and watched it again. It was pretty inspirational. I really can’t believe the power that one person had just because of his determination. It’s one thing to lead a revolution, but to do it based on a principle of complete and total non-violence is something that no one else in the history of the world has ever accomplished.

“The object of this tribute died as he had always lived, without property, without wealth, without official title or office. Mahatma Gandhi was not the commander of armies, nor a ruler of vast lands. He could not boast any scientific achievement, or artistic gift. Yet men, governments, dignitaries, joined to pay homage to the brown man who led his country to freedom. He was a man who made humility and simple truth more powerful than empires.” (Gandhi the movie)



“You must be willing to take a blow, several blows to show you will not strike back nor will you be turned aside. It calls on something in human nature that makes his hatred for you decrease and his respect increase. I think Christ grasped that; and I have seen it work.” (Gandhi)

During finals week last semester two of my roommates (Dan, David) and I went around to apartments and we would tie Dan up outside the door, knock, and when the person came out to look at Dan we would shoot them with our super-soaker. At one apartment a girl named Stephi opened the door and with compassionate innocence said, “Dan! Who did that to you?!” and walked out the door. I sprayed her pretty good. Haha! She ran inside all wet and then after a couple seconds she opened up the door and with a look of complete charity offered us some brownies that she had just cooked. We accepted and it really did make me feel bad that she could be so nice to us just after we were mean to her.

It’s true. There really is something that just makes you respect someone who doesn’t fight back, but at the same time won’t be deterred. After the Lamanite army killed 1,005 Anti-Nephi-Lehi’s, it says “their hearts were stung for the murders which they had committed and…the people of God were joined that day by more than the number who had been slain.” (Alma 24:24-26)

Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. (Matt 5:38-40)

4 comments:

  1. Parley--I loved that movie clip. I need to watch the whole movie again. But I can't believe you sat and squirted all the nice girls with a super soaker. Mean boys. That was a good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parley that reminds me so much of what i just read in Parley P. Pratt's autobiography. All the church leaders are being held hostage by Colonel Wilson who admits that what they'd been doing to the mormons was wrong, mobbing without law. He says, "we knew perfectly well from the beginning the Mormons have not been agressors at all"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a funny pic of you. You think of the most amazing pranks, and I can tell you're laughing a naughty laugh, even though all I can see is the back of your head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny! I still draw strength from Ghandi's philosophy. I would have to say he is one of my favorite heroes!

    ReplyDelete