Tuesday, May 5, 2009

FHE

So yesterday I was knocking doors (imagine that) and I get a phone call from Jake. Jake is kinda an interesting guy. He's an Indianapolis native, used to be active in the church way back in the day but hasn’t been in about 9 years, is married with 2 kids, smokes a pack a day, and comes out and knocks to try and earn some money.

Anyways, he calls me up and says he almost got knifed in his hood because some black guy thought his binder was a laptop, so he’s gonna come knock with me for a while. Alright. So we knock down one street in my area and I look up and see the church that our singles ward meets in. I didn’t even know it was in my area. (I’ve only been there once my first day in Indy and I was totally lost in the city) I look at my watch and see that its seven thirty five on Monday night and FHE starts at seven, I tell Jake I’m going to see if they have any refreshments there. He says he’s coming with so we walk in the door and one of the counselors in the bishopric sees Jake and just about starts crying thinking that Jake just started coming back to church.

So the BYU ballroom dance team is in town because they’re performing tomorrow in Indy and for FHE they are teaching the singles ward how to dance. So I see all these cute BYU girls and can’t help but dance with them… I learned how to swing dance, cha cha, and a few others that I already forgot. (I know, I know, Parley learned how to dance, you’re probably all laughing) I don’t really fit the Indiana singles ward stereotype and they would all ask, ‘wait, are you from around here?’ Ha, it really was refreshing after hanging out at Butler University last weekend to see cute girls that you can just look at and tell that they are living their life right.

So, I didn’t get a sale that evening, but I did get Jake to church for the first time in almost a decade, plus a few cookies, plus a few numbers…

6 comments:

  1. Parley - Good post....you are doing all the right things and taking time to reach out to others. You will be blessed for your efforts when you forget yourself. Hope you can attend the Indy 500 in a few weeks....that would be a memory of a lifetime.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love it when random things come together. You just happened to see the church there, you had an inactive member with you, you remembered that there was an activity right then, and it turned out to be a cool activity. Good thinking when you saw the church. Don't discount getting Jake in the church building, because once he's there feeling comfortable, that's a big step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great story! Glad you were nice to Jake and made it a fun activity for all that ballroom dance team. Richard was so nice at his wedding and he is teaching his new wifie, Michela how to dance. They were just such a nice couple.

    ReplyDelete