Friday, April 17, 2009

Potential


We watched this ad in the very last day of marketing class. We talked a little about why people liked this ad as compared to other ones. But, when I watch it, it just makes me think.

The most influential people that really do incredible things in life are the ones that are able to see potential. Instead of looking at something and thinking that it’s mundane or mediocre, they are able to see what it could become.

Gandhi saw that his impoverished people were more powerful than the British empire. The Spartan king Leonidas saw that his 300 could stand against the Persion army. Gandalf saw that a hobbit could save middle earth, (yes, I am a nerd) and George Washington saw that farmers could stand up to the English military.

Here’s a link to a story told by Elder Wirthlin about a horse that reminds me of Seabiscuit: http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=be4ae2270ed6c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1

So next time you see something that doesn’t look like much, try and see the potential in it instead of criticizing it.

4 comments:

  1. Great video Parley....could something like that be done to me to turn me into a buff hunk of a guy? Seriously, I see that all the time with my students. There are always a few who look like losers the first day of class and then often end up on top of the class standing. I have learned not to judge.

    Dad Wad

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool, I have seen it, and really liked it. Thanks for posting the video. I like the analogies you said about Gandalf and Ghandi. What a good idea for a blog, you have a good title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the horse snowman story. My favorite line was "No matter our age, circumstances, or abilities, each one of us can create something remarkable of his life."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so true. Sometimes we just look down instead of looking up and seeing things as they really are from the Lord's perspective.

    ReplyDelete